Coming home to a dark house is sad
…and scary and maybe even a little dangerous.
What if your house could sense that you were close and turn the lights on for you?
OK, so maybe being stalked by your house is a little creepy, too, but if you’re into it, keep reading.
Never come home to a dark house again
Don’t come home to a dark house. Connect your Hue lights with IFTTT.com and let your iPhone’s location trigger your lights to come on automatically whenever you’re close to home.
Note that this works best when the IFTTT app is either open on your phone or running in the background.
- An account on IFTTT.com with the Hue and Location channels activated
- Philips Hue lights
- there is also an android version of this IFTTT applet, but this recipe is specific to iOS
- Download the IFTTT iOS app on your phone
- Make sure you allow the IFTTT app permission to access your location
- Log in to IFTTT.com and go to this pre-made applet
- Switch it on
- Grant it the appropriate permissions (if it asks)
- Change the recipe to reflect your home address
- Change the recipe to reflect the Hue lights that you would like to turn on
- In my personal experience with the IFTTT location applet, this will work most of the time. It works best if the IFTTT app is running, or running in the background.