You’ve worked hard cooking dinner (or maybe you just really half-assed it but gosh darn it, they’d better appreciate it anyway). You don’t want to waste more precious evening energy running all over the house letting everyone know that it’s time to come to the table. You just want to sit down and enjoy it.
Remember, you have a personal assistant.
If you have an Echo near the kitchen and smart bulbs in the bedrooms, you can put Alexa in charge of calling everyone down for dinner.
Blink the lights to signal, “Dinner’s ready!”
When dinner is ready, don’t worry about walking around the house to tell everyone, or yelling, “Dinner’s Ready!” Just tell Alexa that dinner’s ready and make everyone’s lights blink.
- Amazon Alexa Device
- Philips Hue bulbs or Alexa and IFTTT.com compatible smart bulbs
- An account on IFTTT.com
- Install your Philips Hue bulbs
- Link your Hue account with the Hue Alexa skill
- Visit IFTTT.com and log in
- Create a new applet
- For the "this" trigger, search for Alexa and choose it
- Follow the prompts to connect IFTTT to your Alexa account if you haven't done so in the past
- Choose the "say a specific phrase" trigger
- Make the phrase "dinner time"
- Click "create trigger"
- For the "that" trigger, search for Hue and choose it
- Follow the prompts to connect IFTTT to your Hue account if you haven't done so in the past
- Choose the "blink lights" action
- Choose which lights should blink
- Click "finish" and test your action: "Alexa, trigger dinner time"